Acknowledging the blood, sweat & tears that went into making a head explode on film, among other things.


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Uncle Ray is Right.

Here is an interview done in 2006 with Ray Harryhausen on the point of remaking a film like King Kong and Clash of the Titans...



OK, so some of you would say, "C'mon old man, get with the times! Stop Motion is SO fake!" He hits it right on the head with the description of its "nightmare quality". I don't think I have ever been mesmerized or traumatized by videogame visuals. Stop motion visually is tangible. CGI, no matter how detailed is still hollow looking, void of any dimension, a 2-D rendering in a 2-D medium.

2 comments:

  1. If you'd ever like to be impressed by a video game, I'd recommend Shadow of the Colossus. It's an older game, available on the Playstation 2, but I have yet to see any current game come close to what it managed to pull off. There are videos of gameplay on Youtube, but they really don't do it justice. It's beautiful. It's the only game I'd ever consider calling a work of art.

    Great blog by the way, I really hate the over-use of CGI as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I LOVE Shadow of the Colossus. It is one of the best visual video games. I have yet to beat the last guy though. Could you imagine if they made a live action film with practical effects? that would be epic.

    ReplyDelete