Acknowledging the blood, sweat & tears that went into making a head explode on film, among other things.


Friday, April 2, 2010

Great Moments In Animatronics.

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) Rob Bottin.

Rob Bottin is in my opinion the greatest special effect artist of the 1980's. His creations defy logic and invoke nightmares. From The Thing to Robocop, he has taken prosthetics and animatronics to such a surreal level.



One of my favorites is the mutant bunny that Kevin McCarthy pulls from the hat in Twilight Zone: The Movie. I think what scared the crap out of me so much as a kid was not the way it looked, but the fact that it was quivering so violently. Pure adolescent trauma inducing euphoria.

I guarantee you that if this had been done with CGI, the effect would have been slightly less than stellar. Just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment