Acknowledging the blood, sweat & tears that went into making a head explode on film, among other things.


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Throw me the Idol

There’s something about this picture that almost makes me weep tears of nerdly joy.



Maybe it’s the simplicity of rubber bands and tape. Maybe it’s because there was a lot of thought and work going into something that really was never in the final film. Maybe it’s because this was one of the films that shaped my view of action and adventure and the imagination of filmmaking. Maybe it’s because I never knew that they tried to make the damn idol’s eyes move!



Whatever it is that I love about this picture, I guarantee you this much work wouldn’t have been done today. All this would have been reduced to, “We’ll CG the eyes in post.”


Photos courtesy of the P.E.G. Practical Effects Group page

No comments:

Post a Comment