Acknowledging the blood, sweat & tears that went into making a head explode on film, among other things.


Friday, April 30, 2010

Strange Invaders (1983)

An odd little film from 1983 that pretty much homages 1950's small town paranoia sci-fi films. I remember renting this a few times as a kid at the local video store. I dont really remember the plot as much as I remember the effects. This film has some great borderline gore effects that stayed with me... sometimes in nightmare form.


Latex faces being ripped off exposing slimy animatronic alien heads, shriveling bodies getting their life force sucked out of them. Pretty intense stuff for a PG rated film, but then again, this was 1983. A great time to be a kid. Movies got away with a lot more back then, and I've always been grateful to have my impressionable years exposed to all these early 80's practical effects heavy productions.

Critically and publicly, this film was mildly received. I think it gained better legs through home video by kids like me. Siskel & Ebert were divided on the intention of the film. I love how Siskel decries the annoying "gloop & glop" effects that the "kids" love these days. It makes me wonder what he would have thought about the massive CGI infestation that has clogged modern cinema.

I guess we'll never know.

1 comment:

  1. One of the main makeup artists of STRANGE INVADERS, James CUMMINS, died few months ago. I did a little tribute to him on my french blog http://creatures-imagination.blogspot.com/2010/12/james-cummins.html( there is a translator online ); this deals about strange creatures, including several articles strongly against the CGI tricks. I am happy to discover some other sites in fond with physical creatures effects. Let's bring back to us Rob BOTTIN, Chris WALAS, and the others...

    ReplyDelete